Thursday, October 1, 2009

Pound Cake

Well, today was my first attempt at making a pound cake.  A dear friend has let me borrow her KitchenAid stand mixer for a while (thanks, Heather!) and I couldn't wait to use it!  I was like a kid at Christmas. Seriously, kinda sad.  :)  Anyway, I have been wanting to try my hand at making a pound cake for a bit, and found a recipe from Paula Deen that seemed simple enough. I am having some ladies over tomorrow night for a "girls night out" and thought it would be great to have pound cake for them. Boy, am I glad I made the cake today so I will have the chance to make another one tomorrow! My first pound cake turned out very gooey in the center.  It was still quite tasty.  I had my parents and my grandmother over for cake and coffee (not knowing until I cut it that it was so gooey).  By the time the five of us finished, half the cake was gone,  so it wasn't a complete failure.  :)    Now I know what to do differently next time..
Here's the recipe I used...

Paula Deen's Southwest Georgia Pound Cake




2 tsp pure vanilla extract (may use either lemon or almond)
1 cup heavy cream
3 cups sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups all-purpose flour
6 eggs
2 sticks of butter

- Generously grease and flour a 10" bundt or tube pan (I just used a tube pan)
- Using an electric mizer, cream butter and sugar together until fluffy
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt
- Alternately add flour mixture & heavy cream to butter/sugar mix, beginning and ending with flour
- Stir in flavoring
- Pour batter into prepared pan
- Place in a cold oven, then set oven to 325 degrees and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes without opening the oven door. Bake up to an additional 15 minutes if needed (**this is where I think I went wrong. The cake looked great, but I didn't 'test' it. Next time, I'm going to cook it at 350 degrees and I WILL BE TESTING it to see if it needs a little longer.  I don't want another gooey cake**)
- Remove from oven and cool in pan for 15 minutes
- Invert cake onto plate

No comments:

Post a Comment