Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Chicken 'n Dumplings

Skylar's 'special request' for the menu this week was chicken 'n dumplings. I had never made them before, but I knew that my mom had made them with flour tortillas before (and I just happened to have some on hand), so I searched the internet for a recipe. I didn't find one I liked, but I did modify/blend a few of them to come up with this...

Ingredients

3 lb chicken
S & P as desired
1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 cup sliced carrots (optional)
1 cup sliced celery (optional)
1/2 cup chopped vidalia onion
5 flour tortillas, cut into squares resembling dumplings
32 oz container of chicken broth (in addition to stock from cooking chicken)

- Boil chicken & veggies with salt & pepper until done (or combine all in pressure cooker and pressure for 20-25 minutes). Save stock.
- Let cool and debone chicken; tear or chop and set aside.
- Add cream of chicken to chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Drop tortilla squares in boiling stock/soup a few at a time. Add extra chicken broth as needed to ensure plenty of fluid (tortillas will soak up fluid as they "swell" into dumplings). Boil for 4-5 minutes.
- Add chicken and veggies and mix well.


No comments:

Post a Comment