Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Vegetable Soup

The weather has been gloomy and some of us have been feeling pretty 'yucky' too, so I thought a good pot of veggie soup would be nice to have for dinner tonight. I went ahead and started it around noon since I wanted it to simmer for a few hours and Blane has a football game this afternoon. Now the soup will be ready when we get home from the game around 6:30 tonight. In the past, I have made a hot pan of cornbread to go with this soup, but the general consensus yesterday was to have crackers with it. I made todays soup in a pot on the stove-top, but I have made it in the crock pot in the past...will just depend on your prefernce. You can use veggies that are already cooked/canned, so it doesn't have to be an "all day" crock pot endeavor. I have been known to just throw in all sorts of leftovers in my 'vegetable' soup.







Ingredients
2 pounds of ground beef (or any meat you want to use...leftover ham works well too)
2 pkgs frozen veggies
1 can crushed tomatoes in puree
1 can cut green beans
1 can whole kernal corn
some beef broth (i had abt half a container left over from another recipe in the fridge that i used)
2 cups water
S & P to taste
5-6 med potatoes, diced (or you can use canned potatoes, just dice them if they are whole)
1 medium onion, chopped
1-2 Tbsp Worchestershire
chopped cabbage (as much or little as you like)


- Brown meat in skillet; drain well
- In a large pot, combine meat and all other remainig ingredients and cook until veggies are tender




Serve with hot cornbread or crackers
Leftovers can be frozen

1 comment:

  1. This sounds yummy! I'm so glad you started blogging these recipes.

    ReplyDelete