Monday, September 21, 2009

Pan Fried Chicken

I had never cut up a chicken before tonight.  I had never made "REAL" fried chicken (I'm not counting frying up some chicken fingers).  When I was making out our dinner menu for this 2 week period, I came across this recipe and thought it would be good.  So I bought a whole chicken and decided to do it.  I googled "How to cut up a chicken" and found numerous instruction videos that made it look fairly easy.  They all lasted from 3-8 minutes.  WHATEVER!  It took me 20+ minutes and in the end my chicken did not look anything like theirs.   :(   I have since been informed that WalMart sell whole chickens already cut up (Thanks Mary Frances!)  Next time, I will be buying that. :)

Apart from the "cut up" hassle, this recipe is easy and turned out really good.  Skylar was helping me in the kitchen and we fixed potato salad and baked beans to go with it.



2 1/2 - 3 pound frying chicken , cut up (or use chicken pieces)
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
oil for frying
1 cup flour
2 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp black pepper

- Blend milk and egg
- Combine flour and seasonings in a plastic bag
- Shake chicken in seasoned flour
- Dip chicken in milk/egg mixture
- Shake chicken in seasoned flour again to coat thoroughly and evenly
- Place oil in a large skillet, about 1" deep and heat to 350 degrees
- Brown chicken on all sides
- Reduce heat to 275 degrees and continue cooking until chicken is tender, about 30-40 min.  DO NOT COVER.
- Turn chicken several times during cooking
- Drain on a paper towel

No comments:

Post a Comment