Saturday, September 12, 2009

Mmmm, stroganoff

One of the ways we have found to save money is by using venison in the place of beef.  Our boys love to hunt, and Blane was blessed with his first buck this past January.  We've been eating that deer since we got it back from the processor.
Anything that I would make with beef, I have substituted deer.  I use a season salt to help with the "gaminess" and we really have enjoyed it.  
On the menu last evening was "beef" stroganoff, but I used venison backstrap.    It was, once again, a hit with my guys and I thought I would share the recipe here.
Stroganoff
1 1/2 pounds cubed round steak (or in my case, 1 1/2 pounds venison backstrap), cut into thin strips
seasoned salt
black pepper
garlic powder
all purpose flour
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp butter
1 medium onion, sliced
1 can of beef broth
1 can of cream of mushroom soup (i use the large, "family size" can)
1 cup sour cream
cooked egg noodles
* season steak strips with salt, pepper, & garlic powder, then dust with flour
* heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet
* quickly brown steak strips on both sides; remove from pan
* add onion slices to the pan and saute until tender; sprinkle with 1 tsp flour
* return steak to pan
* add mushroom soup and beef broth.
* cover and cook over low heat for 30 min.
* stir in sour cream in the last few minutes, just before serving
Serve over cooked egg noodles.  I have served steamed broccoli as a side with this dish.
If you try this recipe, I'd love to hear how it went & what you served with it.
Until next time, happy cookin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment