Several years ago, we were fortunate enough to enjoy some wonderful egg rolls made by a friend, Irmy Fonville. Since that time, none we have eaten have compared. Since I have started cooking, Reese has been enouraging me to ask Irmy for her recipe. I finally did, and made them last night. They were quite a hit. I got her permission to share her recipe here.
Irmy's Fried Egg Rolls
1 medium head of cabbage, shredded
4-5 medium carrots, grated or shredded
2 chicken breasts, cooked with S & P, then finely chopped
chicken boullion granules, to taste
1 tsp sugar
3 tablespoons oil for sauteeing veggies
oil for frying
1 can bean sprouts, drained and cut up finely
1 pkg (30 count) Lumpia wrappers, frozen
- Heat oil over MED heat in a pan. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add chicken boullion, salt, pepper & sugar. Add chicken and stir for about 10 seconds. Add cabbage and carrots.
- Cook on MED for 10-15 minutes, or until veggies are tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Add bean sprouts to veggies.
- Let cool completely.
- Remove Lumpia wrappers from freezer about 1 hr before ready to cook.
- Place a small amount of cooled filling in middle of wrapper and fold/roll per instructions on package.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees and place several egg rolls to fry until golden brown (it only took me about 10-15 sec). Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot.
*The egg rolls do not keep their crispness when refrigerated after being fried, but they still taste good. This recipe makes 30 egg rolls, so best used when making large quantity....but can be halved.